Current:Home > MyRobert Brown|Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims -Streamline Finance
Robert Brown|Activision Blizzard to pay $54 million to settle California state workplace discrimination claims
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 06:46:47
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Activision Blizzard has agreed to pay about $54 million to settle discrimination claims brought by California’s civil rights agency on Robert Brownbehalf of women employed by the video game maker.
The settlement, which is subject to court approval, resolves allegations that the maker of Call of Duty, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and other video games “discriminated against women at the company, including denying promotion opportunities and paying them less than men for doing substantially similar work,” the California Civil Rights Department announced late Friday.
Allegations of workplace discrimination helped drag down Activision’s stock price in 2021, paving the way for Microsoft’s eventual takeover bid in January 2022. The software giant, which owns the Xbox gaming system, closed its $69 billion deal to buy Activision in October after fending off global opposition from antitrust regulators and rivals.
California’s civil rights agency sued Santa Monica-based Activision Blizzard in July 2021, alleging that female employees faced constant sexual harassment, that few women were named to leadership roles and that when they were, they earned less salary, incentive pay and total compensation than male peers.
Employees spoke up about harassment and discrimination, signing petitions criticizing the company for its defensive reaction to the lawsuit and staging a walkout.
Under the terms of the settlement, women who worked for the company between Oct. 12, 2015, and Dec. 31, 2020, either as hires or independent contractors, may be eligible for compensation. About $45.75 million of the settlement amount has been set aside for such payouts, the state agency said.
Activision Blizzard also agreed to take steps to ensure “fair pay and promotion practices” at the company.
“We appreciate the importance of the issues addressed in this agreement and we are dedicated to fully implementing all the new obligations we have assumed as part of it,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement Saturday.
The company also noted that the California Civil Rights Department agreed to file an amended complaint that withdraws sexual harassment allegations.
The settlement agreement declares that “no court or any independent investigation has substantiated any allegations” of systemic or widespread sexual harassment at Activision Blizzard, nor claims that the company’s board of directors and CEO acted improperly or ignored or tolerated a culture of harassment, retaliation or discrimination.
In September 2021, Activision settled sexual harassment and discrimination claims brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, agreeing to create an $18 million fund to compensate people who were harassed or discriminated against.
And earlier this year, the company agreed to pay $35 million to settle Securities and Exchange Commission charges that it failed to maintain controls to collect and assess workplace complaints with regard to disclosure requirements and violated a federal whistleblower protection rule. In paying the settlement, Activision neither admitted nor denied the SEC’s findings and agreed to a cease-and-desist order.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson 'heartbroken' over Maui wildfires: 'Resilience resolve is in our DNA'
- Powerball winning numbers for August 12 drawing: No winner as jackpot hits $215 million
- Prosecutors have started presenting Georgia election investigation to grand jury
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Crews searching for Maui wildfire victims could find another 10 to 20 people a day, Hawaii's governor says
- As Maui wildfires death toll nears 100, anger grows
- Publisher of small Kansas newspaper calls police raid Gestapo tactic but police insist it was justified
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Police apologize after Black teen handcuffed in an unfortunate case of 'wrong place, wrong time'
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- How smart financial planning can save you thousands of dollars when things go awry
- New Orleans City Hall announces death of Mayor LaToya Cantrell’s husband, attorney Jason Cantrell
- North Carolina budget delays are worsening teacher hiring crisis, education leaders warn
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- What to stream this week: ‘The Monkey King,’ Stand Up to Cancer, ‘No Hard Feelings,’ new Madden game
- As Maui wildfires death toll nears 100, anger grows
- Is Social Security running out? When funds run dry solution may be hard to swallow.
Recommendation
Bodycam footage shows high
Prosecutors have started presenting Georgia election investigation to grand jury
Michael Oher, former NFL tackle known for ‘The Blind Side,’ sues to end Tuohys’ conservatorship
A throng of interfaith leaders to focus on combating authoritarianism at global gathering in Chicago
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Kim Kardashian's Son Saint West Takes a Leap During Family Lake Outing
Glover beats Cantlay in playoff in FedEx Cup opener for second straight win
Illinois governor signs ban on firearms advertising allegedly marketed to kids and militants